Tuesday, April 04, 2006

When was the last time your doctor visited?

Think in the movies where people buzz at the front door and you hear someone on the other end ask who it is and then buzz them in. Well, we have an entryphone system similar to ones you see in the movies. Actually majority of places here have those.

Today, I woke up very sore with a strange pain under my right breast/rib area. I can't breathe very deep without pain and it's a sharp shooting pain that is there all the time. I was a bit worried as this was not listed in any of the side affects. I called our Doctors to see if I could have a wee chat. The nice receptionist took a message and said she would have the doctor call. So, when our entryphone buzzed and I asked who it was and got this reply "it's the doctor" I was a bit thrown off. You see in Scotland, part of the wonderful health care is that the doctors still do house calls for those who are unable to come in. So, here in my living room the doctor listened to me and checked all the vitals then told me to continue taking the pain medicine and rest. I didn't bother telling him I though that I was feeling well enough to not take the pain meds since Monday. Dustin says it's an inherited thing called "Daughter of Viki" syndrome where I try to be too tough and can't let people take care of me too much. I will say that much, my mom is one tough lady!

Well, I am going to go and lay down watch a movie and possibly take some pain meds. My little bubble was burst when the doctor told me no returning to work for three weeks. I do have a lot of letters to catch up on. Too bad I can't catch up on all that house work!

So for all of my complaining about the health care here, it does work! The doctors go out of their way at times to look after you when you most need it.

Oh yeah, some of our Scottish friends are curious about some American things that they see on the Television or read about and one of things that comes up over and over is "What is a twinkie?" So, for anyone wishing to send Twinkies or any other hostess products to the UK---we would welcome them to do some cultural sharing with!!! We do have a small list of things we love to have sent to us if anyone ever feels the need to send a package....Just ask!!

Off to be a good patient as many of you are just thinking of waking up!!
Lot's of love,
Janette

No comments: