Wednesday, September 21, 2005

It's raining Blessings in Edinburgh!

It has been two weeks of well, I should just say it's been quite stressful and much uncertainty.

Dustin left for his first "away" trip for the week last week. This was fantastic for him but for me it meant that I was alone. Sink or Swim. It's a good thing I know how to tread water holding a brick above my head (thanks to that lifegaurd training in college) because that is what it felt like!

I was living day to day trusting that the Lord was going to bring someone by to help with the girls in the afternoon and of course He did. But to tell you the truth, trusting is a bit of a downfall for me. Okay, so if you know me, I like to have the details worked out.

Dustin got home on Friday after me being a single mum for a week (thanks mom by the way!) and when he asked "how was your week?" I didn't know if I should slug him or cry on his shoulder. I refrained from both just saying "we have to figure out a better solution with the girls".

On Sunday we were in church and Pastor Colin was talking about being in the centre of your circumstances and sometimes the circumstance is not going to change but that the Lord will penetrate right through that centre and go beyond. So, I gave it to the Lord. I prayed for God to provide in whatever way He saw fit. I promised to try to stop attempting to changing the circumstances but to allow Him to penetrate to the centre.

On Monday it was a bank holiday. Not for the UK, not for Scotland, just for Edinburgh. It seems there really is no reason for the holiday but just that people need a break. It was great to have no work or school for us all but that also meant that everything else to help us be productive would be closed.

Monday evening I went for tea with my North American Lady Friends. These women have become so dear to me and a huge encouragement in my journey. Denise is a Canadian who is just the "salt of the earth" type person. She came in with a wee paper and a phone number scrawled on it "Shayna 0131......." Denise shared that a friend of hers knew this girl who was looking for a job and had just finished up nannying for a family here.

I couldn't even drink my tea I was so excited! I tried to sit there and be a part of the group but I finally excused myself and came home to call this angel!

I was about 10 minutes into my conversation with Shayna when I realized I was having no problem understanding anything she was saying. Either I have gotten so good at listening to Scottish people or she was ....no could it be.....yes, she's American! Not that we were looking for an American but it was like finding another friend (which I pray is part of this blessing).

To make a long story a bit longer....Shayna came over on Tuesday, we chatted, walked to see each of the girls' schools and that was it. I knew that God had penetrated my circumstances! He had not only provided for me, he provided; a loving person who will love our girls, she's a Christian, she's a teacher and I am sure she is so much more! She and her husband are in the same boat,he's a post grad student and they are fully trusting God for all their needs.

What a blessing! Not to mention that a neighbor moved out and we got a microwave and a washing machine! Stephen and Rebecca Smith (dear college friends) are here to visit and see Scotland. Zoe had a great 4 year old birthday. I got to connect with Pastor Mike, Stephanie Haas, Marjorie Olsen, my younger sister Tiff and my mum and my sister in law Karalyn on the phone just in the last two days! God is good....all the time!

No comments: