Thursday, March 16, 2006

Pilgrimage to St. Cuthbert's Isle -- A Small Prayer Island Off of Lindisfarne (Holy Island)


IMG_0013, originally uploaded by dustkunkel.

(First of all, for real info. on this island, you should google it or look at the links on the right column)

I had my first pilgrimage experience three days ago. I was granted the blessing of traveling for the day to Lindisfarne, also known as Holy Island, with my friend Colin as guide and friend Paul as, well, friend.

All of middle and southern England were brought to faith in Jesus in the 4th and 5th Century by Celtic missionaries who left the isle to share their faith. There is a causeway from the mainland to the island that falls underwater during high tide!

We are standing under the cross in a little concave (where the "prayer hut" used to be) on a smaller island. Saint Cuthbert used to leave Holy Island and cross to the smaller one to pray. He was renowned for preaching, prayers, and healing miracles. People came from far and wide to have him pray for them. He could go out to the prayer island when the tide was out, and people couldn't get to him when the tide came in.

As we walked across the mussels and seaweed and slick rocks and sand, the wind that flew like a knife across the North Sea from the Arctic cut my face, and the snow and sleet bit into my eyes. We could hardly see where to walk, and then I remembered . . . . Colin had told me that Saint Cuthbert was known to stand in the water and pray, sometimes up to his neck!

Although I didn't wade in the water, I asked for Colin and Paul to bless me on the island.


They did, and although no heavens opened, I felt a peace and strength in my sonship and calling. I prayed that God would grant me the grace to carry His god-spell (old English for "good news") back. . . . across that narrow causeway and into the world He loves. I believe He is faithful. He will carry our little family where He desires.

Thank you, Lord, for your saints of old who were faithful to you, and available to your call!

Dear friends, keep us in your hearts and prayers, as we do for you. . . .

No comments: