Sunday, October 16, 2005

The 1000 Words the Pictures Cannot Say. . .

Its easy to look at the pictures on this site and the flickr site and stop there, thinking (maybe) that you've seen what we're about.

Here are some things that pictures can't say:

Sitting on the late-night steps of the university's outdoor center in the Highlands and faced with the question from a fellow student, "What IS Grace?" Pictures don't show the hour-long conversation in the dark that led up to that question. Pictures can't show my trembling heart as I prayed, "Spirit, I'll say what I can, but I know its up to You." I think I began with something like, "Grace is God taking it on the chin for me. . . ."

The strength and loneliness of a wife who holds on and works hard and mothers well while her husband is gone for days at a time.

The look in her eyes when she gets a call, or email, or letter that reminds her of all the people who love us.

The little-girl squeals of joy I get when I walk through the door from a trip.

Waking up each morning wondering how our needs will be met today, praying over breakfast in thanks for what we have, and waiting in expectation to see how He comes through.

How true it is that so much can be stripped away, and you're still family, still whole, still full of life, and love, and all the 1000 things that pictures can't say.

By the way, how would you answer the question, "What is Grace?"

May you be open to the joy of living--and answering, if called upon--Grace-fully.

No comments: